In the 17th Century, Lydiard Park boasted an Elizabethan style manor house approached by three grand avenues. The house had been modernised by Sir John St.John, who took up permanent residence there during the Civil War period when it is likely that the park was also used as a Royalist garrison.
Sir John is best remembered for building the South Chapel in St.Mary's Church in which he erected some of the finest family monuments in the country, including the Golden Cavalier.
A plan drawn around 1700 records extensive formal gardens, a bowling green and terraced walks in front and to the East of the house which lead down to the ponds.
At this time Lydiard Park was owned by John's son Sir Walter St.John, whose wife Johanna was a keen amateur gardener. The couple were on cordial terms with King Charles 2nd , and relied on quantities of produce being dispatched from Lydiard when entertaining him at their home in Battersea.